Dorothee Wenner is based in Berlin, where she works as a freelance filmmaker and writer/curator.
Her documentaries often transgress borders of traditional genres, as she uses elements of feature filmmaking when working with protagonists. In 2008, her theatrically released documentary "Peace Mission", won critical acclaim as it gave international audiences an insider perspective into the world of home movie production in Nollywood. „Peace Mission“premiered at IFF Toronto and toured the international film festival circuit on all continents. The film is distributed and marketed by Women Make Movies and First Hand Films.
Since 1990 Wenner has been a member of the selection committee of the "International Forum" and also serves as the delegate for India and Subsahara-Africa for the Berlin International Filmfestival and the Dubai International Filmfestival. In Lagos, she has been jury member of the African Film Academy since its inception in 2004, and chaired as its president in 2010.
As curator she has worked, among other events, for the exhibition "Faktor Arbeit", NGBK, Berlin 1997; on the concept of the live-show: "Schlager am Ende des Ganges" with Jürgen Kuttner & Riyad Wadia in der Volksbühne, Berlin & Kestner Gesellschaft, Hannover 1999; for the exhibition: "Bollywood - Das indische Kino und die Schweiz", Museum für Gestaltung, Zürich 2002; on the "Focus South Africa 2004" commissioned by the Berliner Filmfestspiele; for the event "Hollywood in Nigeria", HAU2 Berlinale, February 2004; for „Import Export - Cultural Transfer between India and Germany, Austria“, an EU-funded multimedia project in Bombay/Vienna/Berlin 2004-05; for „How to get rich quick“ - Hollywood in Nigeria, HAU in cooperation with the International Forum, 2004; for „We want you to want us“ - smart African ways of marketing movies, HAU in cooperation with the International Forum and Bundeszentrale für Politische Bildung 2005; as programme director of the Berlinale Talent Campus 2006-08; for the show "Loving Lagos – The Centre of Excellence Show“ for HAU, Berlin, commissioned by the Goethe-Institut in 2008; for "Moving Politics" - a film series at Arsenal, Berlin, for the Deutsche Guggenheim Museum, Berlin 2010; for "Arts Work" Meeting of African Women Filmmakers at the Goethe-Institut Johannesburg in 2010; as well as for the "World Cinema Fund Factories" in Burundi and Burkina Faso in 2011.
2012 "DramaConsult", cinematic documentary ZDF/ Arte
2010 "Fearless Nadia", screenplay for a Bollywood-movie, pre-production
2008 "Peace Mission", cinematic documentary ZDF/Arte
2006 "Shanti Plus", short documentary for the multimedia exhibition „moving spirits“ Co-director: Urmi Juvekar
2005 "Star Biz", documentary for „Import Export - Wege des Kulturtransfers“. Co-director: Merle Kröger
2002 "Germany Inside Out - 10 experts from 10 countries and their view on Germany" video documentary & videoinstallation, HKF et al.
2001 "Happy-end in Switzerland", short documentary for the Museum of Design, Zurich
1999 "Ladies Special ", documentary for NDR
1998 "Die Polen vom Potsdamer Platz", documentary for NDR and TV-Polonia
1997 "Tierische Helden - bellende Stars" - reportage for Spiegel-TV
Festivals (Selection, „Peace Mission“):
- Jerusalem International Film Festival 2009
- Zanzibar International Film Festival 2009
- Festival de Granada Cines del Sur, Spain 2009
- Africa Cont. Lisboa, Portugal 2009
- Africala Film Festival, Mexiko 2009
- Lagunimages, Cotonou/Benin 2009
- Windhoek International Film Festival, Opening film, 2009
- Buenos Aires Film Festival 2009
- Festival des cinémas africains, Brussels 2009
- Honkong International Film Festival 2009
- Festival Int. de Films de Fribourg 2009
- Birds Eye View, London 2009
- Pan African Film Festival, LA / USA 2009
- Dubai International Film Festival 2008
- The London African Filmfestival 2008
- Stockholm International Film Festival 2008
- Kasseler Doumentarfilm- & Videofest 2008
- Semana Intern. de Cine de Valladolid 2008
- Sao Paulo International Film Festival 2008
- Pusan International Film Festival 2008
- Zimbabwe International Film Festival 2008
- Toronto International Film Festival 2008 (International Premiere)